Four months before the Declaration of Independence was signed, South Carolina adopted a state constitution–drafted by a Provincial Congress–and elected John Rutledge (1739-1800) as the State's President and Henry Laurens (1724-1792) as its vice-president. The titles of these offices were changed to Governor and Lieutenant Governor by the Constitution of 1779.
The process of launching a new and independent government in the province of South Carolina formally began on July 6, 1774, while the province was patiently waiting for its new Royal Governor - Lord William Campbell, who did not arrive until June 18, 1775. William Bull, Jr. had been acting on his behalf since 1773, when the previous Royal Governor - Lord Charles Grenville Montague was recalled in disgrace by the British government.
On March 26, 1776, the Second Provincial Congress convened in the morning, then re-assembled in the afternoon as the First General Assembly of the State of South Carolina. The following were the elected leaders of the first South Carolina government:
President - John Rutledge
Vice-President - Henry Laurens
Chief Justice - William Henry Drayton
Assistant Judges - Thomas Bee, John Matthews, Henry Pendleton
Attorney-General - Alexander Moultrie
Fort Moultrie is the name of a series of citadels on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina, built to protect the city of Charleston, South Carolina. The first fort, built of palmetto logs, inspired the flag and nickname (Palmetto State) of South Carolina. It is named in honour of the commander in the Battle of Sullivan's Island, General William Moultrie.